Friday, January 27, 2012

HOME SECURITY WILL BE NEXT IN THE CORD CUTTING PHENOMENA

     Seems like everyday I have a new security guy knocking on my door wanting to show me his system or offer me a "free" system.  Guess the security signs in the yard do not really matter to them.

     If you knew me personally you would know that I am all about home security- I do nothing but try to ensure that my home is secure and my family is safe.  I am a firearms enthusiast and almost always have a firearm on me and of course- I have a home security system.

     There has been a push within the American culture to cut the cable cord, freeing yourself from high costs of entertainment- paying for 100's of channels, when you actually only really watch a watch just a few.  The cable industry is feeling the heat, with 9% of the paying customers leaving in 2011 and a anticipated 11% leaving in 2012, the cable industry is bleeding.

     This leads me to the thought of who is next?  Cable is not the only bill that the consumer is paying high costs for.  I believe that the security industry is going to be next in line.  How? Why?  It is simple, with technology moving over towards broadband services, the ability to secure your home and personal effects is going to be more effective, efficient and end user friendly.

     I have had my alarm system go off, the dispatching center would get the notification and contact the police.  I would of course get a phone call, provide the dispatch center my password and then proceed to my home if I was near by.  On more then one occasion, I was already home, cleared my own house with my own firearm (concealed carry) and was waiting for the police to arrive.  The average response time in my neighborhood is 15 to 20 minutes for a home security alarm.  I do not know what you think of a time frame that is long enough to get a short work out in, but I can assure you, it does little to nothing to actually prevent a burglary from happening and the crooks know it.

     So now what are we supposed to do?  We are paying $30-50 dollars per month ($360-$600 per year) to a security company so we can try and have peace of mind that our personal belongings and family is safe- when in reality, it is a false sense of security.  The security company helps to make you "feel good" and feel safe, when in actuality, if someone were to break in to your home, your stuff would be stolen and the cops would be notified take a report of the incident, because your belongings and crooks would already be long gone.  You are paying hard earned money to be notified in the event your home is broken into, you are not paying to actually prevent or catch the crook(s) in the act.  Sure a yard sign helps, but it not a guarantee.

     What is the alternative?  A IP networked Camera system.  IP Networked Camera systems are becoming more and more common and offer much of what a monthly paid security system would offer to you.  I personally feel that they offer much more.  Most Networked cameras can be seen on your smart phone and most of the systems have a DVR to record to.  Some DVR Networked Camera systems can even send you a .mpg video or photo when a specific area of a room is breached.  So, instead of paying hundreds of dollars to a security company, own your own camera security system.

     If you want to take things a step further, you can still have a home alarm system, without the dispatch service.  Then the siren will  still sound and the crook can think that the cops have been notified.  Still the most effective form of home security at this point would be to have cameras in your home.  You will not pay monthly fees if you own your own system and you can monitor your own home when ever you desire.  The biggest satisfaction of it all, is knowing that your locked in a safe DVR will have video of the crooks in the act, aiding in the investigation of the crime and potentially catching them in the end.

     Yes, the camera security companies are starting to jump on to the Networked IP service, but they are charging more money for such services.  So you are still paying a monthly bill to be notified of a break-in and you then have them on video.  You can get the exact same result by owning your own system and having a audible alarm that sounds without the cost of the monthly service fees.

     There are several cameras on the market that offer exactly what I have described in this article.  Foscam, D-Link and Cisco Linksys all offer home monitoring cameras at about the $89-$100 price.  I have not had the pleasure of being able to use and test all of these (have tested the Foscam) but would love the opportunity to someday try them so I could give a accurate review.

     If you are trying to figure out what bill can be cut in your budget and you have already axed cable tv and home phone service and are now using a VOIP service such as Ooma, then you are on the hunt to find out what next in your budget can be taken out.  I would suggest looking at your home security system.



5 comments:

  1. Security systems at home have grown to be a necessity due to the rise in crime rates. With this situation at hand, many businesses have offered the said services, but not all of them are of great quality. What we must do as consumers is to do our homework and research on which from the vast choices suits us best, and ask friends and people who know the ins and outs of security systems, so we can be sure that we get our money’s worth.

    Meri Berger

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really depends on the alarm monitoring company that you get. Most of them nowadays have a silent alarm capability that will alert the police the moment someone tries to break into your home. That way, there’s a chance of catching the burglars red-handed and retrieving your stuff. Or get the service that also offers security cameras. But if the additional fee is too much, a DIY home cam would really come in handy.

    Odessa Hanton

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s so nice to know someone who actually gives a lot of attention for what is best for his family. Being cost efficient is somewhat helpful, but if you think you’re living in a neighborhood where crooks or burglars might attack, then I’d suggest you to go for a home alarm system that is connected to a central station. Paying for it monthly in exchange for keeping your family safe is a worthy trade-off, right?
    - Louisa Hemstreet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louisa, I would still argue the monthly fee for a alarm. I currently have a alarm system that sounds off, but it is not connected to a monitoring station. However, the camera's are recording and the recording device is locked into a safe which is bolted to the floor. Again, you somehow are presuming that a blaring alarm which notifies a alarm company is going to "keep the family safe." The expectation to hope someone will show up when the alarm goes off is again the presumption that the law enforcement will arrive in time to make a difference by changing the mind of the criminal. I live in Texas, so I am sure I do not need to explain my first response....

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete