Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cutting the Cord



As I started to think about what is one of the first things that I would want to tell the world about- I came to quick assumption that it would have to be the 'cord cutting' attitude that is picking up with great speed within America.

If you are like me, it was only about a year ago that I would sit at the dinning room table and get upset with the amount of money that I was paying to my cable company. At that time, I was paying about $220.00 per month for internet and cable TV. Of course I had the DVR and all the other stuff that they are so good at telling you that you 'need.' lucky for me, I am stubborn enough to find a better more financial freeing solution.

I found the Roku device when I began to look for a alternative solution for TV- the Roku at that time was still in it's infancy and no where near the remarkable item that it has become today. I eventually ended up cutting my cable services slowly. First by letting go of the DVR and returning their equipment.

I ordered the HDTV antenna for the roof of my home, getting it installed and found that the clarity and the vast amount of selection available was surprising! I finally pulled the trigger and cut the cable. All was well for about 2 days- because it did not take me long to realize that the 'guide' that the cable company provided was a much missed item.

In order to solve the guide issue on my 2007 Vizio 50 inch television, I went to and purchased a TIVO DVR. The Tivo device offers a guide and had a few features such as being able to record over the air broadcasting which was a nice plus. TIVO also came with the ability to stream online content, such as Netflix, Blockbuster Video and Youtube.

I did pay for a Hulu Plus account and Netflix streaming account. So after cutting my cable and paying for everything I am sure you are asking me- what was the cost and the savings right?

Cost for Equipment:

Antenna with Coax and connectors $89.99
Roku $99.99 (now available for $49.00)
Tivo $99.99

Cost for Equipment = $289.97

Subscription Costs

Tivo= $19.99
Hulu Plus= $7.99
Netflix= $7.99

Total cost for monthly subscriptions = $35.97

Cable bill prior to cutting cable (with internet) = $220.00

Cable bill with Internet only= $79.00 (Business class)

Old Cable Bill= $220.00 minus new cable bill of $79.00 = $141.00

$141 Dollar savings minus subscription costs of $35.97 = $105.03

So there you have it- I save $105.00 per month/ $1260.00 per year!

So, if you are reading this, trying to decide if it is 'worth it' to cut cable and find a better solution for you and your family- I guess you have to do the math. In my case, paying almost $1300.00 for Discovery Channel, HGTV and History was not at all worth the cost (since those were the only channels we watched).

Cable companies are bleeding- I read a recent report that said that the cable industry lost 9% of their subscriber base in 2011 and it is expected that they could loose an additional 11% in 2012. If that trend continues- the face of TV entertainment is and will change. People of America are tired of paying hundreds of dollars for channels we are never going to watch.

I personally have one hope and desire- for NFL Season Ticket to come to Roku. I am not the only one waiting- there are several! Roku is boasting more then 2.0 million watchers with their products now sold at Target and Walmart- so I hope it is only a matter of time before NFL realizes that there is real money to be had by joining with Roku.




































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment